Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Notes from 7/20/2000-7/28/2000

More notes from the notebooks. Am I the only one with tons of notebooks? Why take notes on Sunday/Wednesday/Whenever if you never look at them again?

7/20/2000
Stop trusting in man, who has but a breath in his nostrils. Of what account is he?
-Isaiah 2:22
Don't follow man

Seemed like a funny note. Simple. Straight forward. Not too many classifiers. I guess today I'd want to add to that a bit and say instead of "following" a man, walk with someone who's godly council you respect, who's life you want to imitate, who shares their triumphs and their failures and who passionately loves the Lord. Why is it so much easier to follow someone else's vision that to get one from God ourselves?

7/22/2000
What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar? To whom will you run for help? Where will you leave your riches? Nothing will remain but to cringe among the captives or fall among the slain...
-Isaiah 10:3-4a
Judgement day

The old fire and brimstone preach... For some reason this jumped out at me. Maybe because it's such a visual picture or maybe because so much of the world works so hard for those riches.

7/24/2000
...and he will delight in the fear of the LORD. He will not judge by what he sees with his eyes, or decide by what he hears with his ears; but with righteousness he will judge the needy, with justice he will give decisions for the poor of the earth. He will strike the earth with the rod of his mouth; with the breath of his lips he will slay the wicked. Righteousness will be his belt and faithfulness the sash around his waist.
-Isaiah 11:3-5
...fear of the Lord, speaking out in righteousness and faith. Speaking powerfully but wisely and correctly. This is the cry of my heart.

It's good to remind myself of how exciting it can be to speak what God gives you to speak. The last semester of my senior year I felt led to start a Bible study. I called it "Unplugged" and made a lot of references to the Matrix... all in all, it was a pretty awesome time. I never had more than 15 people show up and I'll never really know if God used those times to make a lasting difference in someone's life... Though a lot of hands got raised :) It's always exciting to share the fire and the passion God gives us.

7/28/2000
Open the gates that the righteous nation may enter, the nation that keeps faith. You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you. Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD, is the Rock eternal.
- Isaiah 26:2-4
The rightous who stand firm in faith will have perfect peace.

I wonder about that note... was I naive to say that? Maybe I was just too young to really understand how crazy life can get? But then again... During that time in my life, I went through some crazy things. Not long after this, my mom got cancer (God took care of that). My college "pole vaulting career" ended with a broken bone in my back; this after a torn abb muscle the year before... Life threw me some curve balls but I truly did have perfect peace. It's all about the Spirit doing His thing.

No comments: