Monday, February 19, 2007

Notes from 7/12/2000-7/18/2000

As stated previously, I'm going through my stack of old notebooks to remind myself of various scriptures/notes and what they meant to me at the time. I doubt anyone will find this useful other than myself, but at least I don't have to go into the attic the next time I want to find this stuff. I'm trying to widdle it down to just the things that jump out at me.

7/12/2000
One of the greatest strengths of a leader is the ability to encourage themselves.
7/13/2000
Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil.
- Proverbs 3:7
When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.
Proverbs 11:2
Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
- Proverbs 12:18

All things I definitely still need to work on...

7/14/2000
All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.
- Proverbs 14:23

That last one is a good reminder for me right now. One of my goals in life is to start a few side companies so that one day I can do ministry work without having to worry about a salary or ministry support. One of the projects I'm involved with on the weekends and at night is foxycart.com. I've been working on it with a friend for over 6 months. In the beginning it was easy to talk about the project... but actually doing it is a pain.

7/15/2000
He who answers before listening -- that is his folly and his shame.
- Proverbs 18:13
LISTEN, don't speak. Even if you are right or have a contradicting statement to make.

This one is still hard for me... but my wife helps me. Lord thank you for this reminder of things you want to change in me.

A hot-tempered man must pay the penalty; if you rescue him, you will have to do it again.
- Proverbs 19:19
Sometimes I need to let people make their own mistakes.
Rich and poor have this in common, the Lord is the maker of them both.
- Proverbs 22:2
Don't even think for a second that one is better than the other.
If you say, "But we knew nothing about this," does not he who weights the heart perceive it? Does not he who gaurds your life know it? Will he not repay each person according to what he has done?
- Proverbs 24:12
For those who ask about people who never get a chance to hear the good news.
7/16/2000
Therefore, prepare your minds for action, keep sober in spirit, fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance, but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior;
- 1 Peter 1:13-15
God's commands turn into promises when there is grace. "You shall not..." is a promise made true through grace.

Huge. So many people bound by lust and sin... completely enslaved. Lord help me share the promise of freedom, not the words of law.

7/18/2000
He who trusts in himself is a fool, but he who walks in widsom is kept safe.
- Proverbs 28:26
Don't trust in yourself.
Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. This too is meaningless.
- Ecclesiastes 5:10
Money never satisfies.
The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person. For God will bring every act to judgment, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil.
- Ecclesiastes 12:13-14

No comments: